The Eighties Time Capsule Post

What mamacita is...


When I was in junior high, my church youth group was invited to a lock-in at the Episcopal church in Port Arthur.

The thing I remember most about that night is how strange all the other kids looked. I remember at least one kid had a sidewinder haircut, which I'd never seen before. Other boys had long hair. Some kids had multiple piercings. There was a girl in Goth raiment (though I didn't know what to call it at the time). I remember calling my parents and saying, "There are some weird people here." It's not that I wanted to leave -- I just had to tell somebody about all the fascinating things that were happening.

For comparison's sake: in Bridge City, boys weren't allowed to wear their hair past their collars, and they definitely weren't allowed to have anything pierced. Girls weren't allowed to pierce anything besides their ears, once. [Things have changed now, and as far as I know, all of those rules have been set aside. Never thought I'd see that day!]

That night was the first time I heard R.E.M. It was the first time I ever saw people making out. It was a night out of a John Hughes movie -- all of one's teen experiences coming in the course of two hours.

In one of the rooms that night, they were showing The Hunger. [Who the hell was in charge of all this?] For someone who had never seen a boy with long hair, you can imagine that a vampire flick with David Bowie and a lesbian love triangle was something of a shock. In fact, I don't think I understood what was going on, but when I tried to leave the room I found that I was hemmed in by Jaimie Hancock sucking face with some dude.

So, to be honest with you, I don't remember much about this movie. That's why I'm watching again tonight.

Comments

  1. I love this movie... it was on in the middle of the night just last week! And the soundtrack is great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An Abecedary of ...

Reading/ Watching/ Listening

All About the Boy