The End of Mommy Blogs
I like to believe that's Dr. Pepper in the bottle. Papi had to talk me down off the ledge again last night. I was having my bimonthly emotional crisis*. This time it was brought on by reading too many good-mother blogs. When I first stumble across these I find them inspiring. The moms take professional-quality pictures of children in clothes that they personally sewed from vintage fabric. They make healthy dinners using the organic, locally-grown produce they find at the farmer's market, which of course their children are delighted to eat. Their children eschew Pokemon in favor of Waldorf toys and have yet to watch a television program. They go on "simple living" kicks while simultaneously posting at least daily about the perfectly hip items they found that they COULD buy, because they're also somehow not teetering on the brink of financial apocalypse. They live in mint-condition midcentury houses that are featured on Cookie's blog. All of these things...


I just started Mad Men myself this weekend and just love it! So retro and misogynistic, like Bond movies. Goes well with martinis too!
ReplyDeletethanks for reminding me about Vegetable Love -- I just requested it from the library. I remember hearing Barbara Kafka interviewed on NPR when this came out, and also loved the quote that gave the title: 'Our vegetable love may grow, vaster than empires and as slow.'
ReplyDeleteMmm. I think I'm going to make crab and cucumber curry for dinner tomorrow, since I got crab and cucumbers at costco yesterday. Wonder if my family who doesn't like cukes will eat it if it's cooked, curried, and covered with coconut milk?
ReplyDeleteSara -- good luck with the cukes. I would have thrown my hands up in despair over him many years ago.
ReplyDelete