Go Big Red

{Funny you should ask, D, because I was thinking about a post on this very topic.}

I change my mind about a lot of things. It's why I still don't have any window coverings at all; it's why I haven't painted the rummage sale chairs I bought two years ago; it's why Papi has termed me a "catch-and-release shopper." It's why the checkout dude at Sephora hides when he sees me coming. But there is one absolute truth that I can share with you.

Red wants to be saturated. Red wants to be In Charge. If you attempt to leaven red with another color, particularly white*, red will mock you without mercy. Let's consider two photos posted by the ever-gracious Joni:

No.



A thousand times No.



Definitely. [Granny, this is what your house should look like.]

You don't have to like red, and you don't have to use it if you don't want. But don't expect red to play well with others. Red likes to be the center of attention. Consider this Lesson No. 1.

*Ecclesiastical garb excepted.

Comments

  1. I was worried it was going to be a nebraska post when i read the title and almost stopped there...thank goodness it wasn't!

    I agree wholeheartedly abbout the red.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really good point. I'm turning my bedroom red as part of this renovation project, and it would be too easy to mix it with white or cream (for the rest of the house my standard wall color is a cream and the carpet is taupe), and as you point out that's no good. Especially since I want more of the bordello effect (it's *my* bedroom, so why the hell not?).

    However, red + brown or lots of wood seems to work OK in my research.

    Want to jump in and help with the design? (Since I'm hitting "stumped" and my designer wants to combine the red with green... and I'm not sure I'm up for that.)

    http://www.kaboodle.com/saracarl/new-bedroom.html

    And it has to work with the "in room" sink area, which we are redoing along these lines:
    http://www.stixy.com/guest/35920

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red and green should never be seen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh...the last image is where I want to meet my higher power with vodka gimlet in-hand. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An Abecedary of ...

Reading/ Watching/ Listening