Happy Belated Birthday, J.D. Salinger

I missed it yesterday. It would have been so sweet to celebrate by hiding out in a cabin somewhere and refusing to have contact with anyone. Oh well.

I really liked The Catcher in the Rye when I read it a lifetime ago. But I also love this satirical review, which appeared in The New York Times when the book was published in 1951:

"This Salinger, he's a short-story guy. And he knows how to write about kids. [But] he should have cut out a lot about all these jerks and all that crumby school. They depress me. They really do."

Comments

  1. I think you would be happy to celebrate ANYBODY'S birthday if it meant you got to hide out in a cabin, refusing to have contact with anyone.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An Abecedary of ...

Reading/ Watching/ Listening