The Thin Man


Today is the birthday of Dashiell Hammett, author of The Thin Man, among other books. I LOVE the Thin Man series of films starring William Powell and Myrna Loy. If you aren't too wrapped up in your Memorial Day weekend, you should check them out. The rapid-fire dialogue is so good because the actors have great chemistry -- I read once that most of their scenes were done in one or two takes. The series is funny, glamorous and suspenseful; don't be surprised if you find yourself wanting to host a Nick and Nora-themed cocktail party after watching them.

Comments

  1. It doesn't hurt that Myrna Loy is a babe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNEW my young sons were going to turn out ok when, at ages 11 and 7 the deemed Myrna Loy their kind of woman! We love the films too although the drinking, in these times, is somewhat disconcerting. What a great suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In college, my idea of a decadent evening was pulling on my 1940s style silk dressing gown, mixing up a pitcher of martinis, and settling in for a Thinman viewing.

    I'll have to second Cynthia -- the scene in the first Thin Man film where Myrna Loy's comes in from shopping and orders (and downs) enough cocktail's to keep up with her husband... I like a woman who can drink her man under the table!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An Abecedary of ...

Reading/ Watching/ Listening